December 20, 2022
There has been a rapid expansion of industries and business because of the technological developments in every field. The people and entities are therefore looking for trademark registration as the trademark becomes synonymous to the brand. Securing protection and holding exclusive right over the distinctive marks, devices, sound, shape, slogan, etc. becomes the important part of the business strategy. Both physical and digital filing of trademark application is accepted by the Registry. To support the Trademark Application, documents are required without which the Trademark Registration would be incomplete and difficult to get a registration for.
WHO CAN SEEK TRADEMARK REGISTRATION IN INDIA?
Anybody (a person or an entity) can file a trademark, such as:
- Small, medium, and micro enterprises (MSME)
- Limited Liability partnership or a partnership firm
- Undivided Hindu Family
- Non-profit Institution
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TRADEMARK REGISTRATION:
Common documents/details required for application by any individual or entity are:
1. A duly executed Power of Attorney for the trademark application that is being handled by an attorney or a registered trademark agent.
2. Graphical/Artistic representation of the mark if it is a device mark.
3. 30 Second Sound recording in MP3 format and its graphical representation if it is a sound mark.
4. A User Affidavit has to be attached along in the Trademark Application if the applicant asserts that the trademark has been in use since a date prior to application date. The affidavit is notarized and is annexed with the supporting documents to establish the use of the trademark since the date as mentioned.
What can be included as a supporting document?
- Social Media Extracts
- Extracts of E-commerce Platform if the goods are sold there.
- Pictures of events/activities if the mark is being used for a service.
- News Articles if any
- Pictures of Goods bearing the trademark.
5.The Udyam Aadhar Certificate/ Registration if the entity is an MSME or the certificate of registration of DPIIT. These certificates are beneficial for entities as the government fee for trademark application is reduced by 50% by producing the respective certificate.
Specific documents required For Trade mark:
1. INDIVIDUAL/ SOLE PROPRIETOR– At the time of Application, no specific document is required from the Applicant other than the common documents as mentioned above. It is though suggested that the Application should be filled carefully without any spelling errors as well as appropriate columns/categories are to be selected to prevent objections.
2. START-UP – When registering a trademark in India as a startup, one must submit the certificate of registration of DPIIT (Department for promotion of industry and internal trade). To submit the Application as a startup this certificate is necessary.
3. MICRO, SMALL, AND MEDIUM ENTERPRISES – A Micro, Small, or Medium-Sized Enterprises has to furnish its Udyam Aadhar Registration Certificate with the relevant goods/services as per the trademark class applying for in order prove that they are an MSME.
4. PARTNERSHIP FIRM/ LIMITED LIABILITY PARTNERSHIP – At the time of Application, no specific document is required from the Applicant other than the common documents as mentioned above. It is though suggested that the Application should be filled carefully and the name of the firm as well as names of all the partners should be mentioned in the form.
5. COMPANY – The Company isn’t required to furnish any specific documents at the time of the Application.
6. HINDU UNDIVIDED FAMILY (HUF) – When a HUF submits a trademark application, the name of the Karta is important to be mentioned.
7. SOCIETY – For Society, no specific documents are required to be submitted in the application.
8. TRUST – While submitting the application as a trust, it is important that the names of the Trustees are important.
It is not mandatory or suggested to upload personal documents such as ID Proofs (Aadhar Card, PAN Card, GST, etc) at the time of filing the Trademark application as the portal is of public domain and anyone can have the access to the documents. The Applicant therefore should be aware of this fact that these documents aren’t required for filing the application and should not be shared.
But if a TM-M is filed for any address change/ name change or there is any transfer or assignment, then in that situation documents to support that change are required to be attached along with the form.
Before attempting the filing of trademark registration, it is crucial to cross-check all the documents and information as the correction of error/s may be difficult to implement as another form has to be filed to amend such clerical/ typographical errors which then might in some cases require a hearing before the Examiner. If the Trademark Application is incomplete, it usually fails the formality check which prolongs the Trademark Application procedure. It is therefore preferred to reach out to the trademark attorney to assist you during and after the filing of trademark application.
Leave a Reply